A prolific day for me? I suppose. Anyway, on Facebook, someone referenced this page on another blog:
It lists 20 questions for a homebrew setting that players are likely to ask. So, for Neuith, I’ll give it a go:
- What is the deal with my cleric’s religion?
There are temples but with very little exception, there have been no known visitations from any of the gods in over 3000 years.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
There’s a marketplace in most cities and towns. Depending upon regions, supply and demand, and a few other factors, you might see some price fluctuations.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
In that same marketplace, there might be a blacksmith or armorer. Some are better than others, but be prepared to pay out the nose. Also, you might need to help them find the materials you want to make it out from. Things like Mithral or Adamantium aren’t just laying around in piles.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
That would probably be Allison Gross, the ugliest witch in the north country. However, there are others that may rival her power. She’s just the most well-known.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
Isabel is a great paladin, but you don’t want her leading your army. She’s credited for defeating the Elf Knight.
- Who is the richest person in the land?
Depends on the land. In Linne, it’s John of Scales, the steward of the castle who is currently running the city.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
If you can’t do it yourself, you might find some potions in the marketplace. With the right ingredients, you can make your own. Some temples have healers, but they’re generally busy dealing with the townsfolk.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
You’re on your own for this.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
The Wizards’ Guild was once a great and powerful force in the land. It has since fallen in prominence. There are still a few active branches. Swarmgarde is probably the closest.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
Again, you’re at the mercy of the local marketplace. Or, you can try to get in touch with one of the twelve witches.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
Who’d be foolish enough to travel with you? You can’t even keep your horses alive for more than a week!
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
Aimach is run by magic users, and within their borders, any unsanctioned use of magic (including using and possessing magic items) is illegal.
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
Hic! That way.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
All kinds. I hear there are owlbears prowling the farms north of here. Minotaurs and evil centaurs ambush travelers on the road to the south. There’s even a small community of kobolds not far from here, though they’d be more likely to bargain and trade with you.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
Absolutely! Head west where the Dragonborn wars are raging. Closer to home, there’s some political issues brewing in the realm.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
Featherscar, Mirascai is where you want to go for this. The purses are large, the glory is larger, and the challenges… well, they’re great, too. There’s that half-giant guy who wields two enchanted halberds.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
The Steelman Assassin’s Guild has been quiet for several years. No one knows why. There’s also the cult of the Diamond Lady.
- What is there to eat around here?
Nom nom nom nom
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
The great cursing wand isn’t lost. Allison has it. The challenge is figuring out how to destroy it. Trust me, we’ve tried! What about? Nope. Tried that, too. As for lost treasures, there’s the matter of the dragon cards.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Nearest dragon? Last I heard, they are all trapped in cards. That happened some 1200 years ago, so if they left behind any great treasure, you can rest assured that someone (or something) else has it now.
So… did I do good? Are there other common questions that I should answer? Please, let me know!